Measuring cups and spoons, brazier pan, cook spoon, wire whip
1 ½ lbs unsalted butter
1 ½ quarts yellow onions, chopped fine
½ c garlic, chopped
2 c celery, chopped fine
1 ½ c bell peppers, chopped fine
1 c Dark Roux (Gumbo Roux)
1 c Blond Roux
½ tbsp black pepper
½ tbsp cayenne pepper
½ tbsp red pepper
½ tbsp paprika
2 tbsp salt
6 c shrimp stock
1 ½ c canned tomatoes, 74/40s
1. Melt butter until almost clarified, then add yellow onions and garlic, cook for 20-30 minutes until onions start to brown and caramelize. Stir.
2. Add celery and bell pepper, cook until limber (about 10 minutes).
3. Pre-heat roux in microwave. Add black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper, paprika, salt and blond and dark roux to butter and vegetables.
4. Cook until roux dissolves (about 10 minutes).
5. Heat shrimp stock.
6. Add shrimp stock and bring to simmer; let cook for 15 minutes.
7. Add tomatoes, blend and cook for one minute.
8. Remove from heat and place in plastic container. Cool.
9. Add shrimp or crayfish to the etouffee and warm before serving.
Yields 1 gallon