2 cups great northern beans
½ lb. bacon
4 springs fresh thyme
1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo
1 cup cleaned garlic
¼ dark chile powder
¼ cup ground cumin
2 cups olive oil
salt and cracked black pepper
1. Chop the bacon and render in a large pot.
2. When completely rendered, add the beans and a liberal sprinkling of salt.
3. Thoroughly coat the beans with the bacon fat then add enough water to cover.
v 4. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 40 minutes to an hour, or until the beans are tender.
5. Drain and refrigerate.
6. In a food processor , blend the garlic and chipotles until incorporated into a paste.
7. Add the beans, then the chile and cumin until the mixture thickens.
8. Add the olive oil, a little at a time, until the mixture is smooth (this may have to be done in two batches).
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste