Chef Derek Simcik of Atwood Café
You know to tackle leftover turkey by building a stuffing-cranberry-turkey sandwich, but how about those other dishes? Chef Derek Simcik of Atwood Café shared a recipe with us for how to turn your leftovers into something truly delicious.
Candied Yam Bread Pudding
- 4 fl. oz. brandy
- 2 oz. unsalted butter, melted
- 24 oz. old bread (sourdough or dinner rolls from the dinner the night before)
- 8-10 oz. leftover candied yams (or more depending on how intense of a flavor you want)
- 2 qt. heavy cream
- 6 eggs
- 10 oz. granulated sugar
- 1 fl. oz. vanilla extract
- Use a portion of the butter to thoroughly coat a 2-inch deep hotel pan. Reserve remaining butter.
- Tear the bread into chunks and place in a large bowl. Pour the cream over the bread and set aside until soft.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until smooth and thick. Add the vanilla, the remaining melted butter, and brandy.
- Toss the egg mixture with bread and yams, gently to blend. Pour into hotel pan and bake at 350 until browned and almost set, approximately 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with a bourbon, caramel or a sauce of your choice.