Fish Bar Gumbo
Whether you’re still searching for the perfect Super Bowl party food or you just want a spicy meal to warm you up this winter, we’ve found the perfect recipe – Fish Bar’s gumbo. The Lakeview restaurant shared their recipe for the seafood and sausage dish, which is served with rice.
Fish Bar’s Gumbo
Yields 2.5 quarts
- ½ pound andouille sausage, large dice
- 1.5 quarts crab stock (fresh or made with 1.5 quarts water and 1.5 oz. crab base)
- 1.5 cups peeled and diced plum tomatoes
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced Spanish onions
- 8 oz. fresh or frozen diced okra
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2.5 tbsp. minced garlic
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2/3 cup dark brown roux (recipe follows)
- 1 tbsp. gumbo file
- ½ cup canola oil
- cayenne, salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz. crabmeat, for garnish
- 12 oz. wild rice cooked for garnish
- Brown the sausage in the oil.
- Add celery, onions, and green pepper and cook until tender (~10 minutes).
- Add garlic & thyme.
- Add okra & tomato.
- Add crab stock and gumbo file.
- Bring to a boil and temper the roux into the soup by whisking briskly until the soup thickens (if it gets too thick add more stock).
- Return the soup to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Serve with crabmeat and wild rice
- 0.5 pound butter
- 0.5 pound flour
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon and stir continuously until the roux becomes dark mocha brown and smells toasty (not bitter).
2956 North Sheffield Avenue, Chicago